PRESS RELEASE As decided already by the Executive committee, the J&K High court Bar Association is holding one day seminar on Saturday 10th of December 2011
As decided already by the Executive committee, the J&K High court Bar Association is holding one day seminar on Saturday 10th of December 2011 at Sadder Court complex Srinagar on Human Rights situation in Jammu and Kashmir on the eve of world human rights day, in which prominent intellectuals, academicians, human rights activists members of civil society and lawyers from J&K High court Bar Association and other district Bar Associations have been invited to participate. The seminar shall start at 10:30 am on the scheduled date.
Today in an extra ordinary meeting of the Bar Association presided over by the Vice President Mr. Bashir Ahmad Dar an organising committee was constituted comprising of Advocate Rafiq Ahmad Joo, Advocate Mohammad Altaf Khan, Advocate Naveed Mir, Advocate Mubeen Wani, Advocate Javeed Samad, Advocate Babar Jan Qadri, Advocate Miss Sofiya, Advocate Showkat Ahmad Khan, Advocate Mudasir Maqbool, Advocate Imtiyaz Ahmad Kangroo and Advocate Sheikh Haroon.
The list of the invitees was finalised and invitations have been floated to the participants. It was decided in the meeting that in the seminar the speakers are requested to express their views on either of the topics mentioned below :
1. Denial of right of self determination to the people of J&K, a basic violation of United Nations Human Rights Charter.
2. De-militarisation and withdrawal of AFSPA and Disturbed Areas Act from Jammu and Kashmir a way forward for protection of human rights.
3. Role of lawyers, and members of civil society in promotion and protection of human rights in J&K.
4. Attacks on Media and Human Rights Defenders, cause and effects.
5. Juvenile arrests and teen age killings by the security forces, a cause of concern and legal remedies.
6. Extra judicial killings and random detentions under PSA, social and legal concerns.
In the meeting it was revealed that the Bar Association is in contact with the prominent Human Rights Activists, leading journalists, lawyers and intellectuals including Miss Arundati Rai, Mr. Tapan Bose, Mr. Vaid Basin, Mr. Parvaiz Imroze, Senior Advocate, Z. A. Shah, Ex-Bar President Mr. N. A. Ronga, Advocate Z. A. Qureshi, Advocate Teesta Setalvad, Dr. Hamida Nayeem, Professor Noor Mohammad Baba, Dr. Javeed Iqbal, Mr. Z. G. Mohammad, Dr. Sheikh Showkat, Miss Qurat-ul-Ain and others whose participation is expected in the seminar.
In the meeting the members of the Bar Association and the members of the district and Mufassil Bar Associations Anantnag, Kulgam, Shopian, Pulwama, Ganderbal, Bandipora, Baramulla, Budgam and Kupwara were requested to ensure their cooperation and participation to effectively facilitate the programme as per schedule.