Charter of Demands from J&K High Court Bar Association, Srinagar
Charter of Demands from J&K High Court Bar Association, Srinagar
1) J&K High Court Bar Association, Srinagar, has more than 1500 registered members, among whom, around 300 members are practising in the High Court and more than 1200 lawyers are practising at District Court, Moominabad Srinagar. At District Court Complex, Moominabad Srinagar only one Chamber Block has been constructed, which has the capacity of accommodating 190 lawyers only, which accommodation stands allotted in the name of the allottees and remaining more than 1000 lawyers are without chambers and/or seating arrangement. Additional lawyers chamber block Phase-II, therefore, deserves to be constructed on priority, at the earliest.
2) In order to address the chamber problem of lawyers, it is proposed that petition writers building be allotted as a chamber block to the lawyers. The petition writers/stamp vendors and siteplan makers are less than 50 in number, for whom separate prefabricated cabins can be constructed in a manner it was constructed at Sanat Ghar Bemina Srinagar.
3) The chambers in Phase-I are without basic facilities and there are number of infrastructural lacunas, which deserve to be addressed. In this regard, it is proposed that heating arrangement in each chamber be made besides putting glass panes and/or net panes, to make these chambers viable structures in winter and summers.
4) Water purifiers be installed in each floor of the chamber building and geezers and mirrors be installed in each washroom of the District Court Complex, Moominabad Batamaloo Srinagar and in the Lawyers Chambers in the High Court.
5) The lawyer’s chambers are 8×8 ft. only, which is hardly sufficient for two lawyers. It is however difficult to provide any seat to a litigant in the chamber, it is therefore, proposed that in each floor alongside the chambers, steel benches be installed having at least six seating capacity in the corridors at District Court Complex, Moominabad Batamaloo Srinagar.
6) In the Court building at District Court Complex, Moominabad Batamaloo Srinagar, the Bar has been provided a small common room, which is hardly sufficient for 60 lawyers. Earlier it was proposed to allot the big hall located in the 1st storey of the court building but the said hall has been converted into a library. The library being very small therefore it can be accommodated in the Bar Room and the Hall be allotted to the Bar.
7) The Bar Association has more than 250 lady lawyers enrolled on its rolls, who have no common room for sitting in the District Court Complex and have no secured arrangement of lockers for the purposes of keeping their personal valets etc. Accordingly, a common hall with installed lockers deserves to be allotted to the lady lawyers, as the lady lawyers feel it inconvenient to share the common room with the male member lawyers, which is otherwise short of seating capacity.
8) The allotment of space in the court building is not according to its original plan. In the original plan the Bar Library and the Offices of the Bar Association had been proposed to be in the main court building. The Bar has no office or else a Library Room in the Court Building. It is proposed that the Library room for the Bar Association be allotted in the main court building and the space for the Office of the President, Vice-President and General Secretary be also made available in the main court building and in this regard necessary steps be taken immediately.
9) To the utter surprise of the members of the Bar, the cabins and vacant spaces in the Court building are occupied by Prosecuting Officers, who have separate prosecution building as also by the staff of the concerned courts, which spaces and cabins were meant for the lawyers in the original plan. The said space also deserved to be earmarked for the purpose it was originally meant for.
10) In the Sadder Court Complex, Court Road Lal Chowk Srinagar, the Bar Association had lawyer’s chambers for more than 300 lawyers. Some spaces had also been provided for sale of power of attorneys and for Photostat machines one room was rented to J&K Bank, one canteen, one bookshop and a separate building for the Bar Association, comprising of conference hall, mosque, Bar office, Bar Library and a chamber for senior members was also in the Bar Building. But in the newly constructed District Court Complex, Moominabad Srinagar the Bar Association has been deprived of all those spaces, which has not only affected the basic functioning of the Bar Association but also of the revenue generations to run the Bar affairs. It is accordingly proposed that a separate, viable alternate spaces be allotted to the Bar Association in the main building to adjust its Photostat machines, a sale counter for sale of power of attorneys etc. cyber facilities be also provided to the Bar in the main court building. In this connection, letter dated 24.12.2016 also deserves to be taken note of.
11) Seating arrangements for notaries’ public, be made available near the Court building for the convenience of the general public.
12) In order to promote the lawyers Welfare Fund Scheme, a circular was issued by the Hon’ble High Court in 2009-10, whereunder, the Vakalat Namas are to be printed and supplied by the Bar Association @ Rs. 10/-. The registration authorities were also directed to realize Rs. 50/- per Sale Deed to be credited to the Lawyers Welfare Fund. The above said circular deserves to be modified and the charges for Power of Attorneys deserve to be raised from Rs. 10/- to Rs. 30/- as has been done in Jammu. The Registering Authorities also deserve to be directed to raise the fee payable to the Lawyers Welfare Fund on account of the registration of Sale Deeds from Rs. 50/- to Rs. 200/- to be deposited in the Lawyers Welfare Fund.
13) The e-court proceedings are starting in all the courts, therefore, the wi-fi facility both at High Court as well as in the District Court Complex, Moominabad, Srinagar for the lawyers, deserves to be provided to them.
14) The identity cards of advocates deserve to be issued afresh by the Hon’ble High Court as the said identity cards are of not good quality and a proper arrangement be made for the said purpose by replacing the previous photographer, who is located at a far of place. A photographer preferably located in Lal Chowk deserves to be assigned the job of issuing the said identity cards to ensure the easy access and good quality of the identity cards.
15) The canteens located in the High Court as well as in the District Court Complex, Moominabad Batamaloo Srinagar are not maintaining the quality of food and are charging exorbitant rates at their whim, therefore, some officers deserve to be appointed who shall periodically visit the said canteens to maintain good quality of food and hygiene by these canteens.
16) More Display Boards deserve to be installed in the High Court, more preferably in the ground floor of the High Court Complex, so that supplementary lists are posted on them for the information and convenience of the lawyers as well as the general public.
17) One Electronic Display Board may be installed in the Bar Library at High Court so that the lawyers will keep track of the cases taken up by the courts.
18) Two gardeners deserve to be appointed for the lawns of Advocates chamber building and Petition Writers Block at District Court Complex, Moominabad Batamaloo Srinagar, for their maintenance and beautification.
19) The open land outside the Court premises should be acquired and developed into parks for the beautification of the Court Complex.
20) Lift men for all lifts including lift in Advocates Chamber Building, in District Court Complex, Moominabad Batamaloo Srinagar, should be appointed to avoid inconvenience to the lawyers and litigants alike.
21) The Advocates Welfare Fund deserves to be monitored and implemented in letter and spirit.
22) The grant of licenses to Petition Writers should be stopped forthwith, so that the petition writers are not in a position to draft petitions or deeds to be filed in the courts or before the registering authorities and the said job is done exclusively by the lawyers
23) The path which leads from Advocates Chamber Building to the main Court Complex should be immediately tiled to avoid any mishap in the coming winter months as the path is muddy and would be slippery in the winter months.
24) Drinking water equipments should be provided in Advocates Chamber Building both in the High Court as well as in the District Court Complex, Moominabad Batamaloo, Srinagar.
25) To handover Advocates Chamber building at District Court Complex, Moominabad Batamaloo Srinagar to R&B for its proper maintenance and lawyers be exempted from paying rent.
26) Rent of Hamdard Canteen in the Advocates Chamber Building at District Court Complex, Moominabad Batamaloo Srinagar be directed to be paid to the Bar Association.
27) Two Split ACs, furniture and furnishing for the Bar Libraries both at High Court and District Court be provided.
28) ACs for the President’s Room alongwith furniture and furnishing both at High Court and District Court be also provided.
29) The State Consumer Commission and Special Tribunal deserve to be shifted to the District Court Complex, Moominabad Srinagar as has been repeatedly discussed with Hon’ble High Court as Court rooms are available in the District Court Complex, Moominabad Srinagar.
30) Examination centre for conducting Higher Judiciary examinations has been fixed only at Jammu, whileas there are number of lawyers from Kashmir including Kargil and Ladakh who have to appear in the said examination. It will be therefore convenient for the lawyers of Kashmir, Kargil and Ladakh, if one of the centre is located in the High Court at Srinagar, as has been the past practice. Needless to add that the lawyers were under this impression that the Examination would be held in the year 2019 but as the examination notification has been issued on 11.10.2018 and the examination have been fixed in November, 2018, and thus they have got a very brief period for perpetrations therefore the examination deserves to be held in December, 2018, so that the lawyers get time to prepare themselves for the examination.
Comments are closed.